The experimentation team of SASHPPE aimed to create a personalized head protection by additive manufacturing. A part of this challenge was to identify suitable materials and the topology of the lattice structure. During their work, more than 10 combinations were considered and several structures were printed and tested on their protective behaviour. All this to determine protection levels and comfort factors. Finally, all results needed to be validated against the business case and the cost/price estimate for the final solution.
A broad variety of materials is available for 3D printing which all come with different properties when printed. Especially with respect to shock absorption, it is the combination of material and geometry that brings advantages to the core functionality. The impact of enhanced shock absorption is maximised through individual design which fits shape and size of the device to the person wearing such helmets. In detail, the challenges are:
- Develop combinations of materials and structures that maximise protection levels
- Create designs that enable predefined protection at individual form and size
- Implement prototypes that are optimised by weight providing increased protection and wearing comfort
The overall challenge of SASSHPPE is to identify combinations of materials and internal structures that provide advantages in safety and wearing comfort at acceptable production price.
SASSHPPE has to compete with conventionally manufactured safety helmets which are mostly based on solutions with foams. These foam based solutions can be produced at very competitive prices which makes challenging for the new solution. Key selling points such as individual protection and weight will decide on the success of the solution.
Improve functionality: Once SASSHPPE has identified a material combination that enables a robust and reliable construction of the shock absorbing hull inside the helmet, a path will be described to realise individual shapes. Further investigations will have to provide information and design constraints that assist in individualisation of the specific forms that are needed to serve all customers.
Price: In the current markets, numerous manufacturers offer helmets at a high price tag. All of these offerings address haptic features or properties that fall into the area of fashion style. SASSHPPE addresses functional advantages which creates a fully unseen offering.
- The team successfully completed the material and technology experimentation in this feasibility study including testing and results mapping
- The product idea innovates the way that head protection is produced today
- The business model has shown to be viable based on the technology findings and the market analyses
- The product would create a complete new business
- The experimenting companies continue the work on this product idea and are part of a best practice experiment today.
- The companies behind the experiment validate the ability to produce the product idea through another experiment and prepare the market entry during this time
- The participating companies have learned from the AMable experiment and now have the required competencies on technical and business side
Implementation time: not described.
Implementation cost: not described.
Topofab, Productos Climax ‘